[XeTeX] Ligatures question

Benct Philip Jonsson bpj at melroch.se
Tue Jun 2 18:38:55 CEST 2009

On 2009-06-02 Nicolas Vaughan wrote:
> I need them not for French, but for Latin.
> Anyway, thanks for the information. I didn't know that.
> Best!
> Nicolas

I guess that if you really want to typeset a lot of
Latin in the old style you'd need a font with
ligaturized ae > æ and oe > œ as part of its
oldstyle ligature set.  I don't know of any.

On 2009-06-02 Yannis Haralambous wrote:
 > S is not a ligature, it is a digraph

??

Digraph: two characters used as a single orthographic unit,
usually with a sound value which can not be deduced from
the sound values of the two characters in other contexts.

Ligature: two letters written so that they share some
stroke.

Æ æ Œ œ are typical ligatures by my book.

/BP