[XeTeX] Unicode editor on Mac (for indian languages like devanagari, kannada etc)

alessandro graheli a.graheli at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 10:10:52 CEST 2009

Along with other colleagues Sanskritists, I am using XeTeX in TexShop
with Devanagari MT without major problems, just had some minor issues
of display of source code. But I find that having Devanagari MT as
the only available AAT font is a serious limitation. In fact I have
not heard of any other Unicode Devanagari font based on AAT features,
nor I found a font editor capable of effectively convert or create
AAT features, save for FontForge, which however, as far as I can
recollect, did not permit a thorough job with Devanagari fonts.

Furthermore I do not see how it is possible to convert a Devanagari
MT text into another OpenType Devanagari font, say Sanskrit 2000:
most or all ligatures will be screwed. This, I conjecture, is not
only related to AAT features and the ATSUI engine, but mainly to the
fact that the Unicode standard is limited to root Indic characters,
leaving to the font designer freedom for the encoding of hundreds of
possible Indic scripts ligatures.

Am I perhaps misunderstanding or missing something? Are there
declarations in XeTeX and/or suitable OpenType Devanagari fonts which
allow the correct output of a text input with Devanagari MT in OSX?

Alessandro Graheli