[XeTeX] bidi and hyperref in XeTeX (was: bidi package abilities and lshort in Persia)

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 23 15:28:02 CEST 2009

On 23 Jul 2009, at 13:28, Vafa Khalighi wrote:

> Imagine no one suggests any solution and still the bug exists, how
> would you fix the bug as a developer?

I might get around to trying to devise a solution myself, but there's
no knowing when I may have the time and interest to tackle that. But
if there's a clearly-specified request that seems to fit into the
general design of XeTeX, and even more so if an actual patch is
offered, the chances of something getting done are dramatically
increased (as happened recently with several primitives the LaTeX3
team wanted, for example).

>   Just quoting chunks of Omega code doesn't really help me
> understand the request.
>
> That is not omega.

Oh, I guess that was code from TeX-e-Parsi, not Omega. My mistake --
but the point remains: as you may have noticed, I can't simply copy
that code into xetex, and I can't (and probably won't even try to)
figure out how to incorporate it if I don't know exactly what it is
supposed to do.

> Start with documentation of what you expect these primitives to do,
> then I can consider whether it's appropriate and feasible to
> incorporate them in xetex.
>

> Anything that goes between \beginspecial and \endspecial their order
> when you use \special commands is not reversed.

How would that resolve the problem of color, for example? If the
document contains, in effect,

    preceding text \special{color push rgb 1 0 0} red and more red
\special{color pop} following text

how exactly would \beginspecial and \endspecial be used, and what is
their effect? I don't think I understand yet, sorry.