[XeTeX] hyphenation in adobe garamond pro

Nicolas Vaughan nivaca at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 19:10:27 CEST 2009

As far as I know, the tiled hyphen wasn't in C. Garamond's original designs
(I haven't find it in them yet!), but it is something pertaining more to the
Centaur typeface.
See: http://i28.tinypic.com/13z78uo.jpg

But also see the Poliphilius typeface:
http://i28.tinypic.com/2h36lfl.jpg

I believe this was done in imitation of the copyists' work. See e.g. this
beautiful 15th century manuscript of the book I of Ockham's Prologue to the
*Ordinatio*:
http://i29.tinypic.com/2076jw2.jpg

Nicolas