[XeTeX] bidi package abilities and lshort in Persian

Vafa Khalighi vafa at users.berlios.de
Sat Jul 18 04:16:02 CEST 2009

> I downloaded the PDF from here.
> It looks very beautiful --- just wish I could read it.
>  (my fault, not the authors:  TeXnicians and TeXperts!)
>
> Nice work, visually.

Thanks for downloading it and your kindness.

> However, the bookmarks do not work; and some contain spurious
> characters, remnants from the markup used to get the correct
> visual display. (e.g.,  'strut', 'rule', 'ex')

That is because (I think) hyperref is loaded but it is disabled so the
bookmarks and such does not work. If I were to typeset the document, I would
not load hyperref at all.

> These latter are fixed with  hyperref's
>   \pdfstringdefDisableCommands

Good to know and thanks heaps for your comments. I actually did not typeset
the actual file but I am sure Mehdi Omidali will look at these issues.

> The failurse of bookmarks to hyperlink is a harder issue,
> presumably related to the RtoL aspects.

Hyperref unfortunately does not work as expected with in RTL mode in XeTeX
dueto xetex limitations. I already suggested the \beginspecial and
\endspecial for fixing this and let's see what Jonathan can do. I tried my
best to patch hyperref in bidi but I noticed it was a waste of time because
even if I did so, there would be heaps of warnings and the texts inside
macros like \href should not be more than a line. So I think it first needs
to get fixed inside the XeTeX engine.

> Best to get one version perfect first, so that the lessons
> learned there can then be applied with other languages.

sure.