[XeTeX] Typesetting a Bible

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 9 09:23:31 CEST 2009

Oops - the drop capital I gave in my response will open up the interlinear space unless you smash it, and you will probably need to push it down manually.  So instead of  just \copy0 in the bit of code I sent you would want e.g.:

\smash{\lower \baselineskip \hbox{\copy0}}

If \lower \baselineskip doesn't give quite the right positioning then use e.g. \lower 12pt (and tinker with that value until it looks just right).  As I said, drop caps can be tricky since you need to end up with something that looks just right visually in the typeface you are using.

All of this is plain TeX-oriented of course.  Some of it might not work in LaTeX (and there are probably LaTeX packages that will do most or all of this donkey work behind the scenes for you).

Best

John