[XeTeX] Font not found error

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu Jul 2 20:05:38 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 04:00:30PM +0100, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 2 Jul 2009, at 15:43, Fr. Michael Gilmary wrote:
> Looking at the "corrected" fonts received from both Fr Michael and
> Peter, I notice that the font names have been significantly altered. In
> particular, the "family" name (ID 1) has been changed from "TeX Gyre
> Termes" to "TeXGyreTermes" (which is why I made this suggestion); the
> "full" name (ID 4) has been changed from "TeX Gyre Termes" to
> "TeXGyreTermes-Regular" (in the case of the regular face, obviously);
> and a "preferred family" name (ID 16) has been added with the original
> name "TeX Gyre Termes".

I'm not sure if this can be considered a FotnForge bug or feature,
FontForge issues the following warning when I open the original fonts:

Warning: Mac and Windows entries in the 'name' table differ for the
  Family string in the language English (US)
  Mac String: TeX Gyre Termes
  Windows String: TeXGyreTermes
Warning: Mac and Windows entries in the 'name' table differ for the
  Fullname string in the language English (US)
  Mac String: TeX Gyre Termes
  Windows String: TeXGyreTermes-Regular

And indeed, fontconfig reports that the font has two fullnames with lang
'en':
	fullname: "TeXGyreTermes-Regular"(s) "TeX Gyre Termes"(s)
	fullnamelang: "en"(s) "en"(s)

Which is think FontForge tries to fix by using the first of entry.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny