[XeTeX] How to use ligatures for TTF fonts?

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Fri Jan 30 20:04:38 CET 2009

On 30 Jan 2009, at 18:41, Mi CHEN wrote:

> Hi, JK
>
> Thanks for your quick reply! Actually I'm using Fedora Core 10 and
> TeXlive2008, and the font of Times New Roman comes from Windows XP
> system. I will try the OTF version which shipped with Windows Vista
> later.

I was wrong: it won't work, as explained by Adam. (Besides the
licensing issues involved.....)

I'd recommend choosing a different font. But if you really want TNR
with its "fi" and "fl", you could use a customized version of the tex-
text mapping with added rules for the f+i and f+l sequences (the
ligatures should be encoded at U+FB01 and FB02, I expect).