[XeTeX] How to use ligatures for TTF fonts?

Adam Twardoch list.adam at twardoch.com
Fri Jan 30 19:54:08 CET 2009

Mi CHEN wrote:
> Thanks for your quick reply! Actually I'm using Fedora Core 10 and
> TeXlive2008, and the font of Times New Roman comes from Windows XP
> system. I will try the OTF version which shipped with Windows Vista later.

Windows Vista never included an OTF (i.e. PostScript-flavored OpenType)
version of Times New Roman. The Microsoft core fonts have always shipped
as TTF (TrueType-flavored OpenType). But the version of Times New Roman
that is included in Windows Vista is clearly better than the one from
Windows XP: it has a much larger character set (also in the Latin,
Cyrillic and Greek set) and the design of some of the forms has been
improved.

Please keep in mind that the use of fonts that ship with Microsoft
Windows are governed by the End User License Agreement of the operating
system they shipped with.

Regards,
Adam

--

Adam Twardoch
| Language Typography Unicode Fonts OpenType
| twardoch.com | silesian.com | fontlab.net

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or
insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
(Hunter S. Thompson)