[XeTeX] XeLaTeX aborts without proper notification for large files

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Fri Jan 30 19:37:16 CET 2009

On 30 Jan 2009, at 17:56, Pander wrote:

> Peter Dyballa wrote:
>> Am 30.01.2009 um 17:39 schrieb Pander:
>>
>>> If this error is related to some maximum memory sizes of XeTeX,
>>> where
>>> and how do I change these?
>>

>> First show us how you manage to define and use 1,000 different fonts!
>> This is an impossible task.
>
> Make a python script that iterates over all the fonts and generates a
> TeX file using all those fonts. It works fine, but only up to a
> certain
> file size.
>
> What parameters do I need to tweek in order to be able to successfully
> run xelatex?

There's a font_max parameter (see texmf.cnf) that is probably set to
5000; this is the maximum number of separate \font definitions that
TeX can handle in a job.

Note that if you load a font family with fontspec it will use up
several \font definitions per family, as it tests for various styles
and features, so the practical limit on font families defined via
fontspec will be several times smaller.

I can't imagine any good reason to require 1000 fonts in a single job.
If you're trying to produce a font catalogue, simply do it in several
parts.