[XeTeX] How to use ligatures for TTF fonts?

Mi CHEN chenmi1999 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 19:20:55 CET 2009

Hi, all

I found that TTF fonts such as Times New Roman which comes with Windows
indeed has glyphs for ligatures of "fi" and "fl". But the two glyphs cannot
be accessed automatically in XeTeX with fontspec package, I mean "f" and "i"
are displayed as independent glyphs instead of  special glyph "fi". Actually
I could access the two glyphs by explicitly calling them by \namedglyph{fi}
and \namedglyph{fl}, but is there an automatically method to handle this? I
tried to load Times New Roman by \fontspec[Ligatures=Common]{Times New
Roman} but failed:(

--
Regards,
Mi