[XeTeX] XeLaTeX aborts without proper notification for large files

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jan 30 17:39:13 CET 2009

Hi all,

XeLaTeX aborts without proper notification for large files. I use a very
large TeX file of 800KB of 24000 lines with about a 1000 differnet
fonts. When I only use the first 4000 lines of that file, XeLaTeX
produces a correct PDF. When I use the first 5000 lines or more, XeLaTeX
aborts with this message:

Overfull \hbox (16.56006pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 4893--4921
[]
[155] [156] [157
Output file removed.

50% of the pages have this overfull hbox. The end of the .log file is:

Package fontspec Info: Defining font family for "Free Serif" with
options [] on
 input line 4949.
Package fontspec Info: Could not resolve font Free Serif/B (it might not
exist)
 on input line 4949.
Package fontspec Info: Could not resolve font Free Serif/I (it might not
exist)
 on input line 4949.
Package fontspec Info: Could not resolve font Free Serif/BI (it might
not exist
) on input line 4949.
 [156]
\c at zf@famc at Die Nasty=\count308

Almost all of the pages report on the font that might not exist.

If this error is related to some maximum memory sizes of XeTeX, where
and how do I change these?

I know that the Free Serif package has a Bold, Italic and a BoldItalic
version. Are the above warnings about this a bug?

Thanks,

Pander