[XeTeX] Letterspace problem

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 17:18:27 CET 2009

Nicolas Vaughan <nivaca at ...> writes:

> Dear Will,Your example works fine. The problem I have, though, happens with
> URLs.

Hi Nicolas,

Ah, the url package is pretty clever; internally it uses math mode to typeset
each character individually and use TeX's linebreaking rules for maths to
allow it to break only at "good" positions in the URL.

This means it's not setting each string of characters as an actual contiguous
"word" as far as XeTeX is concerned, so the letter-spacing can't happen.

I suspect it might be possible to adjust the spacings between the characters,
but the documentation doesn't mention anything along those lines. Perhaps
comp.text.tex might have some good ideas...

Sorry I can't be of more help,
Will