[XeTeX] can you advise me about Chinese fonts and xelatex?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Jan 22 22:30:49 CET 2009

Am 21.01.2009 um 04:05 schrieb Paul Johnson:

> http://pj.freefaculty.org/latex/xetex-3.pdf

Using the xltxtra package you can use \XeTeX and \XeLaTeX commands
(and also \TeX and \LaTeX variants). I think they all need a final {}
or \␣ ...

Fonts are Unicode encoded (or use some other font encoding, from
Adobe, Big5, or a GB encoding, mostly meant for on-screen or printer
use, which are not that easily usable in XeTeX) while a text can be
saved in an UTF-8 (or -7 or -16 or -32) text encoding, which a font
does not have.

X11 can easily use Unicode encoded fonts, you just need to install
them, and either the X server or the fontconfig clients or both can
use this font in a handful of different encodings for screen use,
i.e., inside your text editor. XeTeX uses on Linux systems
libfontconfig to access font names and font files. The commands fc-
cache, fc-list, fc-match are related to this. A file (or set of)
fonts.conf (files) configures this latter scheme, system-wide or user-
specific.

Interesting CJK fonts are also Sun-ExtA and Sun-ExtB. The latter uses
Unicode planes beyond the BMP. http://www.alanwood.net/downloads/
index.html, http://okuc.net/software/UniFonts.exe.

http://www.unifont.org/fontguide/ points to http://www.study-area.org/
apt/firefly-font/ (AR PL New Sung).

--
Greetings

   Pete

Let's face it; we don't want a free market economy either.
		– James Farley, president, Coca-Cola Export Corp., 1959