[XeTeX] Strange problem with Mr. Vafa's xmoderncv class

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Tue Jan 13 18:02:09 CET 2009

On 13 Jan 2009, at 15:46, Alan Jones wrote:

> I get the same error after using
>
> Xelatex --output-driver=xdvipdfmx file.
>
> The font I am usig is ITC Officina Serif. This font works fine with
> regular Xelatex file. The problem only seems to be with xemoderncv.

It seems that regardless of your font choices, xemoderncv is also
trying to use the umvs font for something (see the error messages),
and this isn't available or set up correctly. I don't know exactly
what the problem is, though.

It also seems that there are problems with the .map files, related to
the entries for Arabeyes fonts. Perhaps that's why the necessary
entries for umvs aren't found?

> Even xemoderncv was working fine till my re-install of Linux. I am in
> the process of downloading TexLive 2008. The latest release on Debian
> Lenny is TexLive 2007. Why does the test.pdf get created and then
> removed.?

If the pdf output process fails part-way, the resulting file wouldn't
be valid or usable, so it gets deleted. Unfortunately the (old)
version of xetex you have doesn't realize this, and still reports
"Output written on...." at the end; but the message "Output file
deleted" from xdvipdfmx is your clue that it won't actually exist!

(IIRC, this is a bit better in the TL2008 version.)