[XeTeX] adding some diacritics to a font

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Jan 8 23:45:26 CET 2009

Am 08.01.2009 um 23:20 schrieb François Patte:

> Looking further in the the font, I found three glyphs: E1E0, E1E1,
> E1E2
> which could do what I wanted, and, using the first one, I got a
> perfect
> underdotted letter....
>
> These glyphs are called (according to fontforge): dotbelowcomb,
> space_dotbelowcomb.cap, space_dotbelowcomb.sc and, still from
> fontforge,
> they are for private/corporate use.
>
> My second question: why (again)?

Because they are no regular Unicode characters, i.e., their names are
not standardised, they don't fit into the encoding. So they are put
into the Private Use Area. The alternative is to leave them out ...

> And my third question: if they are for private use, my source document
> is not transferable to another person, unless he has the same
> version of
> the fonts; am I right?

No. You can have N versions of your macros, which are adapted to the
N fonts they use. So the N persons you work with will all have
working code, because the macro definitions are outside, in an
external STY file that adapts for its host system.

BTW, if U+2024, ONE DOT LEADER, does not work for you, you can use
the similar U+002E, FULL STOP ...

--
Greetings

   Pete