[XeTeX] adding some diacritics to a font

François Patte francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr
Thu Jan 8 23:20:19 CET 2009

Le 08.01.2009 01:33, Fr. Michael Gilmary a écrit :
> OK, François, here's another try!
>

> \def\dotontop#1{\leavevmode \vtop{\offinterlineskip \ialign{##\cr
> #1\cr\setbox0=\hbox{\hbox{\char"02D9}}\ht0=0pt\dp0=0pt\hidewidth\box0
> \hidewidth\cr}}}
>
> \def\dotunder#1{\leavevmode \vtop{\offinterlineskip \ialign{##\cr
> #1\cr\setbox0=\hbox{\raise-.35ex\hbox{{\char"2024}}}\ht0=0pt\dp0=0pt\hidewidth\box0
> \hidewidth\cr}}}
>

> I decided to try the full stop glyph for the \dotunder ... and it seems
> to look alright here, and the Unicode ID should work for you, too. I
> don't have any funny spaces before or after.

Hi Michael,

Here the solution I found: watching to the garamond through fontforge, I
found some glyphs with an underdot, for instance 1EA0 (which is Ạ).
Asking "info glyph" from fontforge, it said that it was a composed
glyph: u+0041 and u+0323

So, I tried to use \char"0323, instead of \char"2024, but I only got a
crossed rectangle over the letter....  char"0323 does not exist in this
font in spite of the fact that composite glyph using it, exist in this
font....

This my first question: why?? Why the composite exists and not one of
the composants?

Looking further in the the font, I found three glyphs: E1E0, E1E1, E1E2
which could do what I wanted, and, using the first one, I got a perfect
underdotted letter....

These glyphs are called (according to fontforge): dotbelowcomb,
space_dotbelowcomb.cap, space_dotbelowcomb.sc and, still from fontforge,
they are for private/corporate use.

My second question: why (again)?

And my third question: if they are for private use, my source document
is not transferable to another person, unless he has the same version of
the fonts; am I right?

Regards.

- --
François Patte