[XeTeX] Font Problems & xdv2pdf vs xdv2pdfmx (with FAQ entry suggestion)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jan 8 21:35:42 CET 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 2:13 PM, Freek Dijkstra wrote:

> Freek Dijkstra asked:
>
>>> Is it possible to use xdv2pdfmx instead of xdv2pdf from xelatex?
>>> E.g. something like "xelatex --use-xdv2pdfmx test"?
>
> Ulrike Fischer answered:
>
>> You can use xelatex --output-driver=....
>
> Thanks for the pointer. It works!
>
>> I don't know xdv2pdfmx.
>
> My fault, I meant to write xdvipdfmx.
>
>> The default driver in newer (current)
>> versions of xetex is xdvipdfmx.
>
> I have XeTeX 0.999.6 on a Mac, which uses xdv2pdf by default. I read
> somewhere that this is only so on the Mac.
>
> The faulty behaviour of xdv2pdf on my Mac, and the fact that xdvipdfmx
> is apparently default elsewhere makes me wonder why xdvipdfmx isn't
> also
> the default on the Mac.
>
> Someone any clue?
>
> Who is responsible for the FAQ? Does it make sense to contact him/her
> directly with the suggestion with my problem and resolution?
>
> Regards,
> Freek Dijkstra

Howdy,

Which TeX distribution are you using? If you are using MacTeX 2008 the
default was changed to xdvpdfmx.

Are you using TeXShop? If so, what are the contents of the ~/Library/
TeXShop/Engines/XeLaTeX.engine file? If it doesn't designate the xdvi-
 >pdf driver you should get the default for your system.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)