[XeTeX] Error with XeTeX on using with moderncv

Gareth Hughes garzohugo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 13:54:12 CET 2009

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 8 Jan 2009, at 09:57, Alan Jones wrote:
>
>> I am trying to use XeLaTeX with moderncv class for writing my
>> Cirrculum Vitae with a different font. I get this error.
>>
>> (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/xelatex/euenc/lm/eu1lmss.fd))
>>
>> Package hyperref Warning: Option `baseurl' has already been used,
>> (hyperref)                setting the option has no effect on input
>> line 50.
>>

>> Package hyperref Warning: Option `pdfpagemode' has already been used,
>> (hyperref)                setting the option has no effect on input
>> line 50.
>>

>> Package hyperref Warning: Option `pdfstartview' has already been used,
>> (hyperref)                setting the option has no effect on input
>> line 50.
>>

>> Package hyperref Warning: Option `pdfstartpage' has already been used,
>> (hyperref)                setting the option has no effect on input
>> line 50.
>>
>> ! Argument of \UTFviii at three@octets has an extra }.
>> <inserted text>
>>                \par
>> l.50 \begin{document}
>>
>> ? Runaway argument?
>> ! Paragraph ended before \UTFviii at three@octets was complete.
>> <to be read again>
>>                   \par
>> l.50 \begin{document}
>
>  From the macro name there, it looks like something is trying to do
> UTF8 decoding in TeX macros, which is not valid as xetex interprets
> the UTF8 bytes into Unicode values itself. Does moderncv perhaps do
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}, or some other encoding-related magic?

I used this package to produce my CV, and very impressive it looked too.
I realised that the package was only designed to work with pdflatex. As
I didn't really need xetex features, that wasn't much of a problem.
However, it would be nice to modify the package to work with xelatex.
I'll need to submit a CV for funding sometime soon, so it might be
worthwhile  me trying to modify it. It seems straightforward enough to
change it to accept Unicode by default and rework the pdflatex-specific
bits to work for xelatex. Any suggestions how best to modify the package?

Gareth.

--
Gareth Hughes

Department of Eastern Christianity