[XeTeX] TeX Live 2003 or 2008?

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 18:44:41 CET 2009

I'd also recommend the 2008 version, especially if you want to use Xe(La)TeX, because xetex is still a work in progress and even between 2007 and 2008 there have been many improvements in xetex.

Note that most of the functionality (document layout, hyperlinking, including figures, references etc) is performed by packages, not by TeX itself. Thus, even though xetex may still change internally, the packages will continue to function in their familiar way.

Also note that on the TeXLive DVDs all packages are supplied with their official documentation, so even if there are changes between your books and texlive 2008, you can find out!

I've written an article for MAPS, the publication of the Dutch TeX User group, about the use of CJK in xelatex. The article is in English, I can send it if you are interested (PDF).

Cheers,
Wilfred