[XeTeX] adding some diacritics to a font

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 7 08:53:35 CET 2009

The best long-term solution will obviously be to edit the character into the
font so that it contains the glyph at the correct Unicode position.  A
short-term solution to avoid filling the document with instances of \d{n},
would be to use a Unicode font in the .TEX document which does contain that
glyph (Unicode 1E47 I think) - something like Arial Unicode (only more
attractive!) would do.  Then make 1E47 an active character and define it

\def\ṇ{{\d{n}}}

(extra {} so that the space doesn't disappear at word-end).  Then every time
ṇ is encountered by XeTeX it will apply that definition.  This would yield a
correct PDF, I think, but you would not be able to use your chosen Garamond
font in the .TEX document itself, which may be slightly (or very)
unsettling.

John