[XeTeX] adding some diacritics to a font

S. Ekin Kocabas kocabas at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 7 01:42:20 CET 2009

I have a similar problem:

I've come to appreciate the use of small caps fonts in the documents I type.
Furthermore, some of the documents I create are in Turkish. Even though it
is rather easy to find open type fonts with Turkish support, I've come to
realize that the support does not necessarily cover the small caps glyphs.
More specifically, the capital I with dot above ( İ ), character most often
does not exist in the small caps version---though there are exceptions. Not
having access to that glyph pretty much renders small caps usage unavailable
in Turkish and that bothers me.

Anyhow, I was thinking of creating the required glyph as a combination of
two glyphs (the small caps I and the over dot) and putting that information
in the open type font through the *Font Forge* software. Perhaps there is an
easier way of essentially doing the same thing using XeTeX, though I don't
know how. I would not want to mark the characters as something like
\smallcapsdot{I}, but rather, directly type them in unicode, so that---for
instance---whenever \textsc{İ} is invoked, the correct glyph is displayed.

I will look into the xunicode.sty file as suggested below. Do you have any
other reccomendations?

Ekin