[XeTeX] Type1 and TTF to OTF converter

Alexey Kryukov anagnost at yandex.ru
Tue Jan 6 13:41:42 CET 2009

On Tuesday 06 January 2009, Adam Twardoch wrote:

> Is it really safe, e.g. for Type 1 so-called Expert fonts, Arabic
> Type 1 fonts that were used with QuarkXPress ArabicXT, or classic
> math TeX Type 1 fonts?

Generally speaking I agree with you: of course even converting a Type 1
font to OTF has many complexities. What I wanted to say is that if one
takes a Type 1 font which is already supposed to be usable in XeTeX
(typically, a standard Western font with a limited set of characters)
and converts it to OTF (e. g. with fontforge) (s)he will not lose
any functionality and may even get some benefits.

Of course producing a really good OTF font from a set of pfb/afm files
(especially if there are additional fonts available in the family,
such as Expert or SC/OsF) is a completely different task.

--
Regards,
Alexej Kryukov <anagnost at yandex dot ru>

Moscow State University
Historical Faculty