[XeTeX] Unable to use ITC Officina Fonts

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Mon Jan 5 21:34:16 CET 2009

Alan Jones wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I am a newbie to XeTeX. I got it working. But, I am having difficulty
> using ITC Officina Fonts. ITC Officina fonts that I have are named as
> follows in the .fonts directory.
>
> OFFICIS1.TTF
> OFFICIS2.TTF
> OFFICIS3.TTF
> OFFICISB.TTF
> OFFICSB1.TTF
> OFFICSB2.TTF
> OFFICSB3.TTF
> OFFICSBI.TTF

Hi Alan:

I found those fonts on one of our PCs here ... we have an Adobe font
(pfb, pfm), which has *both* serif and sans faces. I converted them to
TTF using FontForge ... and could load using the following:

\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage{xltxtra}

\setmainfont{ITC Officina Serif}
\usepackage{lipsum}

\begin{document}
\lipsum[5]

{\itshape\bfseries \lipsum[5]}

\end{document}

Depending on your system, you could install them properly in the
Library/Fonts folder ... or under your home directory ~/Library/Fonts.
Otherwise, you'd have to specify the path using:
\fontspec[ExternalLocation=/whatever/your/PATH/Fonts/]{OfficinaSerif-Book.ttf},
etc. (See fontspec.pdf, page 7).

The first way is easier, it seems to me.

Hope this helps!

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma