[XeTeX] Bug report \XeLaTeX and \XeTeX logos

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Jan 5 13:45:14 CET 2009

Am 05.01.2009 um 12:45 schrieb Andrew Moschou:

> it seems that something is happening by the font itself

Yes, that's what I am also thinking – but what can it be that changes
the kerning the *first time on the line* (I could make the
"sentences" continue in the next line by adding more logos and then
added \large or \Large or \smallsize for the whole "document" to see
it hopefully clearer) the logo is typeset and then corrects itself? I
extending my example by putting more \XeTeX\ and \XeLaTeX\ logos on
the line, make this normal or bold face and making the logos appear
in \itshape, and the rule persists. So something in XeTeX (because
your macros do not use fontspec?) has the first time on the line the
value a for some dimension which is then changed to b because of some
feature or table of these Hiragino fonts ... or it's something in
graphicx.sty or graphics.sty or graphics.cfg or xetex.def or ?. Or is
just glue poured between the components that make up the logos?

\begin{document}
\Large
habitudes \XeTeX\ et \XeTeX\ et \XeLaTeX\ et \XeLaTeX\ un certain
entre auteurs et \XeTeX\ éditeurs. \XeTeX

\textbf{habitudes \XeLaTeX\ et \XeLaTeX\ et \XeTeX\ et \XeTeX\ un
certain entre auteurs et \XeLaTeX\ éditeurs. \XeLaTeX}

habitudes \textit{\XeTeX\ et \XeTeX\ et \XeLaTeX\ et \XeLaTeX} un
\textit{certain} entre \textbf{auteurs} et \XeTeX\ \textbf{\itshape
éditeurs}. \textit{\XeTeX}

\textbf{habitudes {\itshape\XeLaTeX\ et \XeLaTeX\ et \XeTeX\ et
\XeTeX} un \textit{certain} entre \textbf{auteurs} et \XeLaTeX\
\textbf{\itshape éditeurs}. {\itshape\XeLaTeX}}

\end{document}

--
Greetings

   Pete

America believes in education: the average professor earns more money
in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week.
				– Evan Esar