[XeTeX] \ifFontExists

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 14:00:23 CET 2009

> Wasn't Donald Knuth's original concept of 'metafont' something along
> these lines?  And of course Douglas Hofstadter has worked on analogy,
> testing his ideas on fonts (his "letter spirit" project).  In both
> cases, though, I believe the idea is to *generate* fonts, not recognize
> similarities among existing fonts.

Knuth's work was about meta-design where describes the shape
of glyphs instead of drawing them. On the other hand, I have very briefly
described an idea by which one could assign similarity degrees to glyphs
and/or fonts. So your last sentence is correct.

A.S.

PS I am not familiar with  Hofstadter's work, but I suppose he did not
use fuzzy set theory.

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece
http://obelix.ee.duth.gr/~apostolo