[XeTeX] \ifFontExists

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Fri Jan 2 15:04:31 CET 2009

Will Robertson wrote:
> Arno Trautmann <Arno.Trautmann at ...> writes:
>
>> I need something that test if an font exists or not, like:
>>
>> \ifFontExists{myfont}{\fontspec{myfont}}{\fontspec{otherfont}}
>>
>> Is there an easy way to do this? I didn’t find anything in the fontspec
>> man or on the net.
>
> There's an example how to do this in the XeTeX sample documents called
> "testfontavailability" (find attached at end), which are linked from the
> "Downloads" section of the XeTeX website.

Thank you, that works!
Maybe one could add

\def\loadFontIfExists#1{
  \testFontAvailability{#1}
  \ifFontIsAvailable
    \fontspec{#1}\relax
  \else
    \relax
  \fi
}

so it is easy to use. Maybe I am too dumb, but it took me 30min to
figure out how to use this correctly…

> The reason I haven't provided a
> built-in way to do this in fontspec is that it's SLOW.

Isn’t ”slow“ better than ”not at all“?…
Or could you at least give a link in the fontspec manual? I think this
is a rather important function that should be easy to find.

Thanks for your help,
Arno