[XeTeX] Polyglossia does not recognize greek fonts

Nikos Platis nplatis at freemail.gr
Sat Feb 28 19:15:14 CET 2009

I am trying to use polyglossia with some of the "old" Microsoft fonts
such as Georgia and Times New Roman for greek texts, and I receive the
error message

! Package polyglossia Error:
 The current font does not contain the Greek script!
 Please define \greekfont with \newfontfamily.

while it is certain that these fonts contain the Greek script.
If I just skip all these errors, the pdf comes out correctly. Moreover,
if I use \newfontfamily\greekfont{Georgia}(with \setmainfont{Georgia})
the document also compiles without errors.
I believe this should not be happening...

Nikos Platis

Nikos Platis                                e-mail: nplatis at freemail.gr

"The empires of the future are the empires of the mind." - W. Churchill