[XeTeX] issue with fontspec in TL2008

Akira Kakuto kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp
Wed Feb 25 01:50:46 CET 2009

Hi Pablo,

> >> The problem seems to be caused by the fact that fontconfig is not able
> >> to find the font.conf file. And I don't know how to generate it on Windows.
> >
> > kpsewhich -var-value FONTCONFIG_PATH
> > may show the location of the file "fonts.conf".
>
> d:/texmf-var/fonts/conf
>
> > kpsewhich -var-value FC_CACHEDIR
> > shows the location of cache files.
> > It should be writable.
>
> d:/texmf-var/fonts/cache
>
> I guess I could try to copy the texmf.cnf file to "C:\Documents and
> Settings\local-user\.tlportable2008\texmf-var\web2c" and there change
> both variables, but I'm afraid that mktexlsr only tries to write d:
> (with no success).
>
> How can I fix this? (I don't have administrator rights on this computer.)

(1)
Set the user's environment variable as follows:
FONTCONFIG_PATH=C:/DOCUME~1/local-user/.tlportable2008/texmf-var/fonts/conf
FC_CACHEDIR=C:/DOCUME~1/local-user/.tlportable2008/texmf-var/fonts/cache
(2)
Make the relevant directories if they don't exist.
(3)
Copy all contents in d:/texmf-var/fonts/conf/ into
C:/DOCUME~1/local-user/.tlportable2008/texmf-var/fonts/conf/
(4)
Edit C:/DOCUME~1/local-user/.tlportable2008/texmf-var/fonts/conf/fonts.conf
(5)
Run a command
fc-cache -v

Best,