[XeTeX] Problem with mathspec and polyglossia

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Feb 24 19:47:25 CET 2009

Hi Andrw,

On 25/02/2009, at 1:48 AM, Andrew Moschou wrote:

> Hi Nikos,
>
> I already am aware of this problem and I know it needs to be fixed
> (I imagine by my, I'm sure it's a mathspec issue) but I haven't had
> the time to look into it. The problem comes as polyglossia requires
> etoolbox, and when this is loaded, there is an attempt to define
> \etoolbox with \newcommand, but mathspec already defined it. A
> solution might be to have mathspec require etoolbox, instead of
> providing the command itself.

Another solution is to use  \AtBeginDocument
to run a test to see whether there is any need to
define this command. Since all packages will have
been loaded at this time, it is sufficient to use
  \@ifpackageloaded  for this check.
Only if the package was not loaded, do you need
to define for yourself the macro that you require.

This strategy completely resolves such package-order
dependency problems.

> For now, you can put \usepackage{etoolbox} before \usepackage
> {mathspec}, as you've already found.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Andrew

Cheers,