[XeTeX] Problem with mathspec and polyglossia

Nikos Platis nplatis at freemail.gr
Tue Feb 24 14:04:16 CET 2009

 My purpose is to use mathspec with polyglossia, so I try the following:

-------------------
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{mathspec}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\begin{document}
 hello
\end{document}
-------------------

Unfortunately, I get the error message:

etoolbox.sty:380:Command \expandonce already defined.
\unexpanded\expandafter{#1}}

mathspec loads fontspec, so mathspec can't (easily) be loaded after
polyglossia. If only fontspec (and not mathspec) is used, then the above
compiles correctly.
The solution I found is to \usepackage{etoolbox} before mathspec, but this
should not be something that the user has to do.
The problem clearly is in the cooperation of mathspec and polyglossia, but I
can't tell whose fault it is. I understand that mathspec is still
experimental, but such incompatibilities should not exist...

Nikos Platis