[XeTeX] XeLaTeX resolution

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Tue Feb 24 11:31:16 CET 2009

Am 24.02.2009 um 00:13 schrieb Taco Hoekwater:

> Steve Peter wrote:
>> On Feb 23, 2009, at 4:44 PM, Meho R. wrote:
>>
>>> I read somewhere that resolution of 267 dpi for bitmap images is
>>> enough. Can anyone confirm it?
>>
>> Printers usually request 300 dpi.
>
> This is because of the way halftoning works: the rasterizing hardware
> generally operates at somewhere between 80 and 200 "lines per inch"
> (lpi), where each of those "lines" represents a row of color values,
> each of which is stashed in a grid of dots (e.g. 16x16) that can be
> on or off to create particular shades of ink. So 50% black means
> that half of the dots in a grid are "on" == ink on paper (I am
> simplifying a little)
>

> The asked resolution for images always has to be a bit (1.5-2) higher
> than the lpi value used, to avoid various resampling artifacts, but
> there is no point in going much higher because the precision will be
> lost anyway.

	I read somewhere some time ago that when printing, you should
	have your images at least twice that of print/display resolution
	for best results.

	For normal use I use 600dpi. When I want to some high quality
	I use more. Do not forget most printers have alot higher
	resolutions. Of course, if you are printing with a professional
	and the quality depends on quality of the printing medium.

	regards
	   Keith.