[XeTeX] TL2008 on Ubuntu

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 05:42:46 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> What would be the best way to install TL2008 on Ubuntu. My Ubuntu
>> version Intrepid system comes with a nice;y packaged 2007.dfsg By the
>> looks of it at launchpad, Ubuntu version Jaunty (April release) will
>> still be at TL2007, only a minor patchlevel version higher. Se
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/texlive-bin
>>
>> Will TL2008 be backported soon or which alternative ways exist to upgrade?

I'm running ubuntu and it seems almost certain to me that TL2008 will
not be backported
because packagers are still figuring how to incorporate the TL package
installer.  I've been a little surprised, but before you get
discouraged, think of this.  On the Centos & RedHat Enterprise linux
systems I administer, they are still offering only tetex. So it could
be worse :)

If you just want the newer XeTeX to drop into your TL2007, there is a
deb for ubuntu already available.

I learned about it in this list, the deb I downloaded is from a few weeks ago:

texlive-xetex-snapshot_881_i386.deb

I think this is the place:

http://nlp.ipipan.waw.pl/~wolinski/xetex/

But I do not know very much about how these packages are built or what
the provider is assuming...

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson