[XeTeX] Font "avenir" in TeX

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 22:55:11 CET 2009

Hi all,

A friend of mine tries to use the font "Avenir" in xelatex. He has done to following steps:

> MacBookBasD:~ basdekker$ fc-list | grep venir
> Avenir LT:style=Light Oblique
> Avenir LT:style=Heavy
> Avenir LT:style=Oblique
> Avenir LT:style=Black Oblique
> Avenir LT:style=Heavy Oblique
> Avenir LT:style=Book
> Avenir LT:style=Light
> Avenir LT:style=Medium Oblique
> Avenir LT:style=Roman
> Avenir LT:style=Medium
> Avenir LT:style=Black
> Avenir LT:style=Book Oblique

so the font is available on the system.

> \fontspec[style=Medium]{Avenir LT}

leads to

> ! Font \zf at basefont="Avenir LT" at 12.0pt not
> loadable: Metric (TFM) file or in
> stalled font not found.
> \zf at fontspec ...ntname \zf at suffix " at
> \f at size pt
>
> \unless \ifzf at icu \zf at set@...
> l.57 \fontspec{Avenir LT}

I know we have seen a bunch of these messages recently, but I don't remember the precise cause? Is there something wrong with the font? Can we find out more info through fontforge?

Thanks,
Wilfred van Rooijen