[XeTeX] Symbol fonts?

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Wed Feb 18 19:24:28 CET 2009

Patrick Carr wrote:

>  but in an old document I have, I had used an ornament
> from Minion Pro Bold.
>
> It's a thing that looks like two tildes that's a bit wide; it's a good
> separator. Anyway, Linotype Font Explorer X tells me it's:
>
>     Character code: 57545
>     Unicode: U+E0C9 [which is just dec->hex(57545)]
>     GlyphID: 515.
>
> If I try either \char" or \XeTeXglyph with any of those numbers, I
> don't get the right symbol. And \the\XeTeXcharglyph"E0C9 outputs a 0.
> In my older document, I use \XeTeXglyph1118, which still works. Well,
> where did I get 1118?
>
> If I look at Apple's built-in character palette (show glyphs), it
> tells me that the character I want is:
>
>     Unicode: E062
>     UTF8: EE 81 A2
>     GID: 1118.
>
> Now, \char"E062 produces the right glyph.

Hi Patrick!

I also have Minion Pro ... but if I try anything other than
\XeTeXglyph515 it doesn't produce the glyph you mentioned. If I try
\char"E062, I get the "Xbox of death" (meaning no ordinary glyph). And
if I try \XeTeXglyph1118, I get the Greek lc omega with iota subscript
and rough breathing. For me, only the non-portable \XeTeXglyph515 works
--- ditto for /all/ the ornaments in Minion Pro.

Is your font Minion Pro OTF? That's what we have here.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma

Most Holy Trinity Monastery