[XeTeX] Transliteration mapping for Greek ?

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Wed Feb 18 17:21:35 CET 2009

I can add a short historical note to this from the late '80's.

There was a keyboard with small LCD screens on its keys, developed by a
small German company. Software could download small (5x8 ??) bitmaps to
the keys. At the time we had developed T3, a word processor that allowed
the use of pretty arbitrary 256 character fonts and almost unlimited
levels of subscripts and superscripts. The primary market was
mathematicians, but some people used the font flexibility for typing in
other languages. A number of math papers in Russian were written with
T3. It included a font editor that allowed you to create your own
characters (different resolutions for the screen and various printers --
remember, this was in the DOS days). The keyboard was a great fit with
our software, and so we supported the keyboard and the company served as
a distributor of our software.

Unfortunately, the investors in the keyboard company got nervous and
pulled the plug in April 1987, the day that IBM announced it PS2. I
never understood their logic, but the company went bankrupt owing us a
lot of money.

I think it would be reasonable to build such a keyboard today -- the
cost of LCD screens must be pretty low now, but there are drawbacks:
Touch typing is no easier with such a keyboard since your fingers cover
the key caps, and you are competing with $10 keyboards, and most people
won't want to carry one around to use with their laptop.

--Barry MacKichan