[XeTeX] Transliteration mapping for Greek ?

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Tue Feb 17 13:57:24 CET 2009

> First of all I think this transliteration idea was a necessary evil some years
> ago, but now all operating systems provide input methods that can be used
> to input text in any script and/or language.
I agree on that. But see below.

> BTW, your solution will make it
> impossible to enter non-Greek text, unless one implements all these stupid
> \textlatin, \textgreek commands.
How can markup be stupid? How would you otherwise switch between
hyphenation patterns, font features, typographic conventions, etc?

> This will add unnecessary complexity to
> a package that is already far too complex.  Not to mention that this is

Sorry Apostolos, but even though polyglossia is still far from being
perfect, it is much simpler than babel...

> feature no Greek speaking person will ever use. Thus, I would suggest
> not to include this "facility" in the next release of polyglossia.

This is just an external mapping that can be optionally activated if
someone feels the need to. I do not think it is very important, but it
could be useful for legacy babel documents.