[XeTeX] Transliteration mapping for Greek ?

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 13:06:38 CET 2009

> Thanks, you have of course the permission: I just made some little
> changes for better matching with the Unicode order, I think there are
> not so many characters missing and not so many errors...
>
> Source file and compiled mapping :
>   http://math.unice.fr/~oudomphe/xetex/greek-babel.map
>   http://math.unice.fr/~oudomphe/xetex/greek-babel.tec

First of all I think this transliteration idea was a necessary evil some years
ago, but now all operating systems provide input methods that can be used
to input text in any script and/or language. BTW, your solution will make it
impossible to enter non-Greek text, unless one implements all these stupid
\textlatin, \textgreek commands. This will add unnecessary complexity to
a package that is already far too complex.  Not to mention that this is
feature no Greek speaking person will ever use. Thus, I would suggest
not to include this "facility" in the next release of polyglossia.

A.S.

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece
http://obelix.ee.duth.gr/~apostolo