[XeTeX] Strange behaviour in PDF while using "Adobe Arabic Font"

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sat Feb 14 03:44:19 CET 2009

Hi Vafa,

On 14/02/2009, at 10:45 AM, وفا خلیقی wrote:

> I have attached a tex file and its output PDF in which I have used
> "Adobe Arabic" font. But when I open the PDF file with evince, I
> get the desired result but I do see problems when openining the pdf
> file with acroread.
>
> So it seems this is a bug of acroread, but the question is "If I
> print the document, will I get the document I saw in evince or I
> get what acroread showed me?"

There is a 3rd possibility, which is that there
are structures within the PDF that do not follow
proper standards.

Using Apple's Preview, I see a result similar
to that of Adobe Reader -- namely that some of the
characters seem to be written on top of others.

To try to get a better idea of the kind of text-strings
within your test.pdf example, I needed to uncompress it
first, using pdftk .
This was only partially successful, giving warnings:

pdftk(3354,0xb836bd00) malloc: *** error for object 0x80d00910:
incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified
after being freed, break at szone_error to debug
pdftk(3354,0xb836bd00) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to
debug
pdftk(3354,0xb836bd00) malloc: *** error for object 0x80d00910:
incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified
after being freed, break at szone_error to debug
pdftk(3354,0xb836bd00) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to
debug

The resulting uncompressed PDF opens OK in Adobe Reader,
but it shows the same problems of misplaced characters.

It looks like you have added your own CMap resources.
It's possible that these are what helps  eVince to extract
the text and give the good rendering that you see.
On the other hand, the Adobe-Arabic fonts have /CIDSet streams
which may well be what Adobe Reader uses. However I can
Copy/Paste the text from  test.pdf  to get a reasonable view.

Hopefully some of these remarks will help you
determine what is going wrong.

> Thanks
>
> --
> VK