[XeTeX] IM Fell Type and XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Wed Feb 11 14:57:23 CET 2009

On 11 Feb 2009, at 00:19, Pepe Romero wrote:

> Hello, Jonathan. Thank you for your help. I still wonder, however,
> why when I typeset some text using this font in QuarkXpress, and I
> generate a PDF, it displays correcly in Acrobat 9.

Because the PDF generation process is different, and handles the font
embedding (assuming it's being embedded) in a way that doesn't trigger
the display problem.

> At any rate, is this something that the typedesigner can easily fix?

Fairly easily, by re-scaling the em-square to use the traditional 1000-
unit size that was recommended for PostScript Type 1 fonts. However,
if there is other data expressed in em-units (such as kerning), care
may be needed to re-scale this in the same way.

Alternatively, simply use the TrueType version of the fonts.