[XeTeX] Size of math font

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 10:32:52 CET 2009

Hi Nicolas,

Your quotes below are out of order.

On 2009-02-10 09:07:04 +1030, Nicolas Vaughan
<nivaca at gmail.com> said:

> The other problem this solution bears, is that the font leading remains
> constant while the scale changes.

You can change the leading with \linespread (or with the leading
package, which I wrote, and which doesn't do anything different than
\linespread).

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Nicolas Vaughan
> <nivaca at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, I thought one should change somehow the scale of the math font,
>> instead of the main document font...

In fact, it's much easier to change the scaling of the math font than
the size of the text font in regular LaTeX.

As Ekin wrote there's no generic way to change the scaling of a font
loaded with regular LaTeX .fd files unless they explicitly support it
(e.g., the helvet package). And it's very time-consuming/annoying to
write new .clo files to use a slightly different text font size in your
document.

However, with math fonts you can explicitly change the scaling with the
\DeclareMathSizes command, documented in fntguide.pdf:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{mathpazo}
\DeclareMathSizes{10}{14}{9}{9}
\begin{document}
a$a^{a^a}$
\end{document}

The first argument is the text size (which is "10" in the example
because it's a 10pt document), followed by the math size, the script
size, and the scriptscript size.

Hope this helps,
Will