[XeTeX] XeTeX and Makeindex

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Feb 10 03:48:49 CET 2009

On Feb 9, 2009, at 6:47 PM, André Bellaïche wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new to XeTeX, and I use XeLaTeX with the command
> \XeTeXinputencoding csMacintosh .
> I have tried to use UTF-8, but most of my source files are mac
> encoded, and continuously shifting form one encoding to the other
> with  TeXShop causes many errors (you also have to close and reopen
> TeXShop  for the encoding change to take effect).
> At first sight, the index seems to print well. When you look to
> the .ind file, you see many horrors like anémie à
> hématies, what

Howdy,

In TeXShop's Help->Help Panel... search for encoding and look at the
top result and you'll see that the easiest way to have TeXShop
``know'' what encoding it should use to save and open a file is to use
a line like

%%!TEX encoding = xxxxxx

near the top of the file. Where xxxxx is the encoding to use from the
list:

•  MacOSRoman
•  IsoLatin
•  IsoLatin2
•  IsoLatin5
•  IsoLatin9
•  IsoLatinGreek
•  Mac Central European Roman
•  MacJapanese
•  DOSJapanese
•  SJIS_X0213
•  EUC_JP
•  JISJapanese
•  MacKorean
•  UTF-8 Unicode
•  Standard Unicode
•  Mac Cyrillic
•  DOS Cyrillic
•  DOS Russian
•  WindowsCentralEurRoman
•  Windows Cyrillic
•  KOI8_R
•  Mac Chinese Traditional
•  Mac Chinese Simplified
•  DOS Chinese Traditional
•  DOS Chinese Simplified
•  GBK
•  GB 2312
•  GB 18030

The most common are MacOSRoman, ISoLatin (latin 1) or UTF-8 Unicode.
Put the line in before you first save the file and then TeXShop will
know how to deal with the file from then on.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)