[XeTeX] XeTeX and Makeindex

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Tue Feb 10 01:47:44 CET 2009

Hi,

I am new to XeTeX, and I use XeLaTeX with the command
\XeTeXinputencoding csMacintosh .

I have tried to use UTF-8, but most of my source files are mac
encoded, and continuously shifting form one encoding to the other with
TeXShop causes many errors (you also have to close and reopen TeXShop
for the encoding change to take effect).

At first sight, the index seems to print well. When you look to
the .ind file, you see many horrors like anémie à
hématies, what is the unmistakable sign that the file is UTF-8
encoded. However, since the \XeTeXinputencoding csMacintosh is not
repeated at the beginning of the .ind file, XeLaTeX reads the .ind
file as UTF-8 and all is for the best, or would be, but a little
drawback.

The drawback is: the index does not keep the French alphabetical order.

For example, the accented é is placed after the z.

What should I do? Would Makeindex keep the correct alphabetical order
(i.e., the accents do not count) if all the files were encoded in
UTF-8? Or, in order to keep mac encoded files, should I use the
command line version of Makeindex with some cryptic options?

Thanks for any help,

André

Département de mathématiques
Paris 7