[XeTeX] Font protrusion --- new or old ?

Florian Grammel grammel at gmx.net
Sat Feb 7 16:07:03 CET 2009

> Is this microtypography stuff a new fad? Is it really a shortcomming
> of XeTeX not to support it?

No -- quite the contrary: Take a page from the Gutenberg-Bible for
instance

http://www.gutenbergdigital.de/gudi/eframes/index.htm

and you'll see that both levels of microtypography are used.

The luxury of the rest of the book also gives you a hint, why it is
difficult to find examples of microtypography just by browsing random
archives. To typeset a book this way is very costly, since the
compositor will need much more time than for a book with straight
edges. Thus you'll only find microtypograhy on a very low percentage
of very high-quality books.

To succeed Gutenberg had to show the world that lead-type could do
everything the scribes could (incl. optical margins) and the question
of the price was secondary, as manuscripts were much more expensive
than print anyway. But he only used it in the prestigious bible, not
e.g. in a schoolbook like his Donatus http://www.gutenberg-museum.de/bildchen.php?bildnamenun=uploads/Donat.jpg

Personally I would love to see XeTeX at least do character-protrusion.
But as Jonathan Kew has pointed out earlier: According to XeTeX's
basic idea this should be done using an OpenType-feature

http://www.microsoft.com/OpenType/otspec/features_ko.htm#opbd

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any further description of
how to implement it (e.g.. precise OT syntax) or just evidence of that
it actually has been used at all in any font.
I'd be very grateful, if anybody here had further information on this...

Best regards,
Florian.

Florian Grammel

Gentofte, Denmark