[XeTeX] \fontsize second parameter

Andy Black andy_black at sil.org
Fri Feb 6 17:10:16 CET 2009

Hello,

I'm new to dealing with fonts in XeLaTex.  I'm using MiKTeX 2.7 on
Windows XP.

I see from the LaTeX2e help documentation that there is the
\fontsize{size}{skip} command.  I understand that the first parameter is
the font size in points and that the second parameter is the line
spacing.  I see that Computer Modern typeface uses 1.2 times the font
size for its value of the skip parameter.

For my purposes, I'm converting an XML representation of linguistic
papers to XeLaTeX.  A user may say that a given piece of language data,
say, is to use the "Charis SIL" font at 12pt or they may say to use
"Abyssinica SIL" at 14pt or Scheherazade at 20pt.  This piece of
language data may appear within the text of a paragraph or as a cell in
a table, among other possibilities.

My question is: what value should I use for the skip parameter of the
\fontsize{size}{skip} command when switching to these fonts?  Will
multiplying the new point value by 1.2 be correct?  Or is it actually
font-dependent and, if so, how would I know what value to use?

Thanks!

--Andy