[XeTeX] XeTeX and postscript output

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Thu Feb 5 16:08:05 CET 2009

Am Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:05:10 -0500 schrieb Kirk Lowery:

> I want to use the package xyling (for drawing linguistic tree
> diagrams). However, the best way to use it is to generate a postscript
> file and then ps2pdf or some such to get the final pdf file.
> Otherwise, one can loose "branches", color and other sorts of errors.
>
> After looking at the docs, it doesn't seem that xelatex will generate
> postscript output. Is there a way to do this?

The problem is not the end format but the \specials:
xyling/xypic will insert dvips specials in the dvi (latex) or xdv
(xelatex). xelatex use xdvipdfmx to convert the xdv to pdf and
xdvipdfmx which will probably not like or not understand some of
this specials.

It is probably possible to write a suitable driver file (xetex is
able to handle a lot of pstricks) but as far as I can see it the
work hasn't been done yet.

--
Ulrike Fischer