[XeTeX] XeLaTeX aborts without proper notification for large files

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Tue Feb 3 16:32:04 CET 2009

On 3 Feb 2009, at 14:55, Pander wrote:

> Hi Wilfred, Jonathan, others,
>
> Well, I'm going to generate an index and table of contents. So
> splitting
> it up is not an option, unless someone knows a way to do the splitting
> with correct index and toc.
>
> But, if I choose to, I can configure it to use ten times as many
> fonts,
> just for this special document. ''Free as in beer'' ;) Only question
> is how.
>
> As someone already guessed it, I'm making a very interesting font
> catalogue which will be going into print. Also, the only way to find
> out
> what the maximum is the printer can handle, is to find its limit by
> increasing font_max. So any extra information on what other
> constants to
> increase is very welcome.
>
> As background information, first I tried the approach of including
> PNGs
> rendered via command line Inkscape. This was working, but since
> XeLaTeX
> can do 'everything' and I prefer doing all in TeX, I ran into this
> obstacle.
>
> So, which packages do I need to rebuild? Only texlive-xetex or also
> others?

You'd need to rebuild the xetex binary from the Web & C/C++ sources
(as found in texlive or xetex subversion repositories), after changing
the font_max constant in tex.ch and reviewing the code to see if
anything else is dependent on that.

I have no idea how that relates to "packages"; I guess if you're using
a distribution where there's a texlive-xetex package, and that
includes the xetex binary, you could probably get and modify the
corresponding source package and rebuild that.