[XeTeX] adding a carriage return character to a PDF annotation

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Mon Dec 28 20:41:29 CET 2009

Hi there,

I have the following document:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[english]{babel}
\begin{document}
This is me.\special{pdf:ann << /Type /Annot /Subtype /Text /Open true
/Contents (First line. Second line.) >>}
\end{document}

And I would like to add a new line between the first and second line in
the annotation text.

The PDF 1.7 Specification states on page 391 about annotation markup:

When separating text into paragraphs, a CARRIAGE RETURN (0Dh) shall be
used and not, for example, a LINE FEED character (0Ah).

How could I add it so that it works?

(Copying and pasting the character doesn't change anything. Either
^^00^^0D, ^^00^^0d, \u0d or \u0x0D work. It seems that the character
should be written in utf-8 directly [but experts in this list should
know more and much better than myself].)

Thanks for your help,

Pablo