[XeTeX] font question (beamer)

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Mon Dec 28 19:05:46 CET 2009

Am Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:39:28 +0100 schrieb François Patte:

> Bonjour,
>

> I use beamer and need to display Indian texts on slides.
>
> I use to use arev fonts for a nice display on slides of roman
> characters but if I add \usepackage{arev}, I am unable to use Indian
> otf fonts.
>
> Here is my preamble:
>
> \documentclass[ignorenonframetext,table,unicode]{beamer}
> \usepackage{pgfpages}
>
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \usepackage{xltxtra}
> \usepackage{xunicode}

You only need xltxtra. It will load fontspec + xunicode

> % \usepackage{arev}
>
> \newcommand\grantha{%
>    \fontspec[Script=Bengali,Scale=1]{e-Grantamil}}
>
> \newcommand\tamil{\fontspec[Script=Tamil,Scale=1]{e-Grantamil}}
>

> If I comment \usepackage{arev}, I can display Grantha and Tamil
> characters, not if \usepackage{arev} is uncommented, error message is:
>
> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/e-Grantamil(0)/m/n' undefined
> (Font)              using `T1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 63.
>

> Is there a way to have both: Indian char and arev fonts for roman text?

You should switch to EU1-encoding before using the indian chars:
\newcommand\tamil{\fontencoding{EU1}\fontspec[Script=Tamil,Scale=1]{e-Grantamil}}

And go back to T1 afterwards.

Be aware that you can't use some non-ascii-char in the input if you
use T1-encoded fonts, e.g. ß doesn't work, you will have to use
commands like \ss instead.

--
Ulrike Fischer