[XeTeX] XeTeX/MiKTeX bug: \graphicspath does not work as intended

Morten Høgholm morten.hoegholm at latex-project.org
Fri Dec 25 11:42:09 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Niels Grewe <niels.grewe at halbordnung.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Possibly none-working versions aside, you're not supposed to use \graphicspath{}
> anymore. (For reasons detailed in the l2tabu document [1])

I am surprised to see this - thanks for bringing it to my attention.
If we take the three arguments one at a time based on observations
made over the years:
  1) The vast majority of TeX users on Mac are using OS X of some sort
so the colon argument does not hold.
  2) As mentioned, the extra search time can hardly be noticed by users now.
  3) People tend not to run out of memory during their LaTeX runs -
only for very special jobs.
The three arguments are not very strong.

In recent years, TeX has gained new ground by offering good
editing/previewing environments (TeXShop on OS X is a remarkable
example). Asking users to set environment variables in a shell is a
step in the opposite direction and one I feel should be avoided unless
absolutely necessary.
--
Morten